Today, the TRU library staff wore white shirts and black ribbons in support of Library and Archives Canada (LAC) and the federal libraries. May 31 is Library and Archives and Federal Library Day of Action, and its purpose is to raise awareness about the cuts that the federal government has announced to LAC as well as several federal libraries.
The announced cuts to the LAC include:
- Elimination of 30% of archivists and archival assistants;
- Reduction of digitization and circulation staff by 50%;
- Reduction of preservation and conservation staff;
- Closure of the interlibrary loans unit;
- Elimination of the National Archival Development Program (NADP) which supports -programming at provincial, regional and university archives across Canada.
The following libraries will also close or be affected:
- Human Resources and Skills Development Canada;
- Transport Canada;
- Public Service Commission of Canada;
- Public Works and Government Services;
- Natural Resources Canada;
- Parks Canada; Industry Canada;
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada;
- Health Canada Agriculture Canada;
- The National Capital Commission.
In the long term, these cuts will impact everyone, not just the researchers who rely on the specialized expertise of librarians and archivists at LAC and the federal libraries. Show your support by contacting your Member of Parliament http://www.canada.gc.ca/directories-repertoires/direct-eng.html#mem or the Prime Minister directly via email email@example.com or fax 613-941-6900.
For more information about LAC & NADP activities, check out the following: